Saturday, May 17, 2014

Why Gameloft is the literal devil incarnate: Blitz Brigade Game Review

If you haven't heard of Gameloft, you either don't own a smartphone or you don't use it for gaming much. Gameloft is THE biggest mobile game developer. There was a time when it was well liked within the mobile gaming community. Maybe its still well liked. What I meant was, there was a time when I respected Gameloft as a developer. In the past, Gameloft made games of incredibly high quality for the time. They were just clones of better PC games but they were as good as you got in the day. The Modern Combat series remain one of the best FPSs on the platform. But what they've been doing lately is making "Free 2 play" games that actually cost hundreds of dollars to play. Today I'm going to tell you why I have come to hate Gameloft and why you should too.

As an example lets take the game "Blitz Brigade". A copy of sorts of the PC game Team Fortress 2. The gameplay seems fun. The graphics seem to be of good quality. And all of this is free? Yes, with a catch of course. The crux of the game is the online multiplayer, where you basically pay to win. You need to pay money

To pay money

to pay money and buy shit.

You pay for more classes,
  you pay for better weapons,

you pay for giant vehicles,

 you pay for consumables and single use items

you basically everything and those who can't literally can't kill a thing.
For example, I literally shot directly at a guy's head for 20 seconds, while he was killing all my teammates, and did next to no damage. He then, of course, turns around and shoots me once, and I'm dead. 3 people shooting at this guy and his you couldn't tell unless you looked very closely that his health had gone down at all, while 3 people who couldn't afford to pay for giant guns lie dead around him.
Well, that's just one guy right? There must be games where the other players are also not able to pay for wins. Or you probably have a lot of cash you can possibly spend on this game? Yeah, there might be - if the server let you stay on for more than 2 minutes. I've seen the reviews of this game and I'm definitely not the only one with this problem. 
The game takes forever to "log in" 
Check my internet strength. No connectivity my ass.
and then when you finally find a server 
 
and join a match (both of which also take a million years),
and you finally start playing, you face SO MANY connectivity issues, I can't even...


I can't count the times I was shooting at the enemy, got a "no connectivity" and then came back to my body lying dead on the ground and my enemy celebrating.

Still no connectivity
 And if you can stand all that, within a few minutes, you get booted out of the server for "bad connection" despite getting 3 bars on my wifi (check my "logging in" screenshot). This has happened to me literally EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

And then, it keeps me offline.

I took these screenshots from literally 2 games, and both times I was booted offline. I've tried heaps before too and literally every time, I'm booted off the server.
Well, that's not too bad. You can still play single player "training missions" right? First of all, you still have to "log in" to play these missions. Secondly, there is no way you get to the second level, let alone the other levels, without paying money. Think I'm exaggerating? To unlock levels, you need to get heaps of stars by completing missions. The one of the missions of the first stage, I killed every single enemy, got multiple multiplier chains, hunted down all secret items and let no one escape. My score? 4975. The score you have to have to get 3 stars? 27500. The minimum to get one tiny little single star? 10000.
10000 maybe would be possible if you can get every enemy one after another with superhuman reflexes and keep the multiplier going for the entire thing. Even then, you can't get to 27000. Oh, but conveniently, you can pay to get to the next level.

What's that? You'll level up in the single player by playing the same missions over and Over again and then play multiplayer to catch up to the rich noobs without paying? Oh...you only get exp the first time you play a mission. So, you can't even do that.

Every little thing about this game is designed to make you cough up cash. It's as bad as I've ever seen it. If you can't pay (and I can't because I live in Nepal and $1~Rs100 imagine paying a $100 for a single virtual weapon) then you might as well not play this game. If you can pay, then pray that the server doesn't randomly boot you out for an imaginary "bad connection".

Gameloft, please, if you want, charge us decent money for the game but please drop this leeching "IAP" system you've got going, that you're using to suck money out of us like a whore sucks mayonnaise out of hotdogs. As it is, this game just sucks shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment